Monday, October 12, 2009

Which is which

CrossroadsI am no poet. But I don’t hate poetry at all. Though I shun the way poets obscure their message, I still like the way they weave the words to produce so beautiful a sound like only a poem can.

I’m just a tepid fan of poetry. That perhaps explains my short list of favorite poems. One such favorite of mine is “The Road Not Taken” by Robert Frost—partly because it’s easy to read and decipher its meaning, but mainly because it resonates with me:

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;


Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,


And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.


I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.


Like the speaker in the poem, I have now come at the crossroads. But the only difference being that road where I am now does not just have two divergent roads, but three.

Barely six months from now, I will be graduating from college. That means I have to choose which career I will pursue.

“But,” might you ask, “don’t you want to be a teacher because you’re course is BSED?”

I still hold fast to that. In fact, I have written a good number of essays before, extolling the nobility of being a teacher. Although I wanted to be a teacher, I realized lately, I enjoyed writing and I’m also thrilled at the prospect of going to law school.

I wanted to pursue all, but, like the speaker in the poem, I could not travel all and be one traveler. In life, as in economics, there has to be a tradeoff. I have to choose among them. Unlike the speaker in the poem, though, I haven’t chosen yet which road will I take.

Can somebody help me?

6 comments:

  1. why not be a teacher and a writer at the same time?
    and yes, i believe you've got the makings of a great writer.
    so go get your dream. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. actually, marjorie, a part of me asks, why not? why not be a writer, teacher, and lawyer? justice oliver wendell holmes was a writer, a teacher, and lawyer. and so is our very own Rene Saguisag, Jose Diokno, Jose P. Laurel. maybe, just maybe, i can be also like them. i hope i will be able to make a decision when i go on a spiritual retreat next week. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. poets have the purest of souls. heaven belongs to them.
    teachers are next in line.
    lawyers? "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers". King Henry VI, shakespeare

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, i take the great bard's words as a praise for the lawyers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everybody is a writer. I think it's an innate talent of all human beings that will develop through time.

    What I think is a logical problematique to you now is how to keep yourself on the right direction as not to fail your future. Writing has no money- everybody knows that, especially if we take it in Philippine context... so you really have to pursue another career which can't take a toll on your creative pursuit.

    Most of my teachers, all of whom are established Filipino writers, say that no matter how busy you are at work... you really have to find time reading or writing something.. you cannot be a writer all time. The word 'writer' requires productivity, to say the least, overbearing passion, which is so delicate especially when you're heading a different career.

    ReplyDelete
  6. [...] started writing about law school. Here when I was still mulling over whether to take up law. Here when I was really having trouble deciding what to do after graduation. And here when I found out the [...]

    ReplyDelete