Thursday, October 29, 2009

The benefits of reading bad writing

"Every book you pick up has its own lesson or lessons," wrote Stephen King in On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, "and quite often the bad books have more to teach than the good ones."

Indeed, reading bad prose is sometimes better than reading a good one---it boosts your confidence and also makes you feel superior. That's what I felt when some months back I was reading the school paper of a nursing college in Davao City.

I've really made the right choice when I picked up that paper. I know now how not to write well.

1 comment:

  1. Hehe good for you, you know better writing skills...
    Unlike me, I'm still working on it and it's only a shame recognizing a prose or a piece without even knowing its flaws. >,<

    ReplyDelete