Thursday, October 15, 2009

Is Rene Saguisag back?

[caption id="attachment_1262" align="alignleft" width="240" caption="Rene Saguisag. Photo by pcij.org"]Rene Saguisag[/caption]

I mean, is he back to writing his column in the Manila Times?

I'm a fan of Rene Saguisag. That does not mean, however, I support each and every cause that he espoused. Remember his defense of Erap?

Still, it doesn't deter me from admiring the man. He is admirable in his own right. Go read a profile of Saguisag, "Quibbling Quixote," writ by Sheila Coronel, and you will find yourself asking, why today's public officials can't be like him: poor, honest, brilliant, and principled.

Most of all, I admire the way he expressed his opinion although, as Coronel noted, his "point is often lost in the lavish gloss of his words." This way with words had served Saguisag well in the past. In another profile, author Lorna Kalaw-Tirol wrote that Saguisag realized the power of the pen when he got accepted at Harvard by writing "one simple short letter that sounded like if you don't accept meyou will be committing a terrible mistake."

Like a stalker who stalks his stalkee, I read his column every Friday. His column, by the way, is called T.G.I.F. For the uninitiated, it's short for "Thank God it's Friday." So don't ask me why, if I'm truly a Saguisagite, I read his column only on Friday. Understand?

But Saguisag had stopped writing----paused might be apt a word----after he and his wife met a road mishap, which killed his wife, Dulce.

Surprisingly, on October 11, Sunday, Saguisag came back with an op-ed piece as biting as ever. I thought that Saguisag's permanently back to writing. But an editor's note dispelled my assumption: "Rene Saguisag has promised to resume writing his regular column one of these days. But this piece is not yet it, although we have placed his photo and column logo."

Yet I have a feeling that he'll be writing regularly now. It's not a wishful thinking. If you want an evidence, read his column today, though there's still this editor's note: "Rene Saguisag promised his tocayo Rene Bas to continue writing his column as often as he can. Let’s pray we get another one for next Friday."

Yeah, let's pray we get another T.G.I.F. for next Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment