Sunday, October 4, 2009

Thank you, Ma'am, Sir

World Teachers' DayAs my tribute to some of my memorable teachers, I wrote two essays, honoring their contribution to my upbringing. The first essay, "Ma'am G, how could I thank thee?" was published in the Learning section of the Philippine Daily Inquirer. The second, "Mr. Zombie," was published in The Mindanao Times.

The first essay is my tribute to Mrs. Lourdes Gamutan, my Lit 1 and English college teacher, whom we fondly called Ma'am G. The second one is my tribute to Mr. Felipe Zombilon, my 3rd year English high school teacher, who prefers to be called Mr. Zombie.

Of course, there are more teachers I would like to thank, most notably:

Ms. Lorna CastaƱares, my 2nd year English teacher. Thank you, Ma'am, for teaching me that books are to be read, not dreaded. You were the first teacher who forced me to read books. From you, I also learned that sobriquet is the other word for nickname, that a camel is also called dromedary, that a beggar can be called mendicant, and many other words. In your class, Ma'am, I experienced for the first time "The Sophies' Social" where you taught us how to sip the soup and eat the food with grace and finesse.

Mr. Romeo Rosales, my 4th year Math teacher and adviser. Thank you, Sir, for telling me that I'm good at Math even though I almost flunked it while I was in 3rd year. I know you wanted me to major in Math, but I've taken up Social Studies. Still, I haven't forgotten what you told us: That whatever we do, we must always give our best.

Mrs. Cabel, my Grade 3 adviser. Thank you, Ma'am, for accepting me in your class. I was from a private school then. Since the school did no longer accept me (I don't know why), I had to transfer to another school. My mother decided to enroll me in Kapitan Tomas Monteverde Sr. Central Elementary School. All the sections, however, were already full. Yet my mother insisited and she approached and pleaded you to accept me. You did. It's been many years, Ma'am, that we haven't seen each other. But when we do, you still remember not only my face, but also my name.

And to all my teachers---past and present, dead and alive, strict and its opposite, rich and wretched, cold and senile---thank you Ma'am, Sir.

2 comments:

  1. I love your article about Ma'am Gee tonying! hehe
    It made me laugh and cry. . Na remember nako tanan niya ka tuleleng.. haha
    I really consider her as "bestest" of all my best teachers..
    I remembered what she had said before, na two lang dw ang outcome sa menopausal baby, either genius or autistic. . ana xa my nlng ky morag sa genius dw xa haha. But I think s both xa haha..

    Love her talaga.. autistic, tuleleng, tralala, but very passionate, concerned, and truly a master. She truly masters her craft! In fact, almost 75% of what I know in English grammar rules came from her, and that points to her dedicated teaching.

    Thanks for writing about Ma'am G. Nakahilak baya jud ko haha.
    Keep on writing!
    God bless!

    ----irenediMpLe----

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salamat, Nin. Attending Ma'am G's class is really one helluva experience. She's a master. A dedicated teacher. You get to love her. You get to hate her. Just the way she is.

    ReplyDelete