Tuesday, November 17, 2009

What do you get when you read 'The Pelican Brief'?

I'm having sleepless nights these days. It's been two nights already. No, I wasn't crying because I was jilted by a woman. Firstly, I don't cry over a woman. Secondly, I don't have a girlfriend right now, and I don't have a plan of getting one. At least, not now.

It doesn't, however, mean I wasn't sleeping at all. It only means the hours I allot for sleep have been slashed. I normally go to sleep at eight. But lately, I reached until 10 before I dozed off.

And that's all because of John Grisham's "The Pelican Brief," which I bought at Bookshop---where else, there is a dearth of bookstores in Davao City---last Sunday when it finally opened after undergoing a month-long face lift.

I'm a slow reader unlike Truman Capote who said he could read an average of about "five books a week." He said, "the normal-length novel takes me about two hours." How fast! A 400-page novel usually takes me four days to finish, so that's 100 pages a day. Before I read mostly during the day. Seldom do I read in the evening---evenings aren't reserved for reading, in our house they're for watching May Bukas Pa and PBB.

Today, I think I'll be reading more slowly, in the night, as the day will be dedicated to more pressing and stressful matters: preparing lesson plans, making visual aids, reading on the subject that I'll be teaching (I heard I will be assigned to third year (World History) and fourth year classes (Economics), and other things that make a single teacher forever single.

Back to “The Pelican Brief.” As usual, I liked it. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bought it and read it in the first place. I liked it only because it involves lawyers and a law student, and I dreamed to be a lawyer.

Enough said.

4 comments:

  1. Have you tried Richard North Patterson's novels?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. Sorry, but I haven't heard of him. Just now, now that you asked me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. at least, you're luckier. i've always wanted to read as much as i can before i doze off at night. but lately, reading before bedtime has become my "natural" sleeping aid. (ho hum..what's been happening to me)
    if my memory serves me right, "the pelican brief" was made into a movie several years ago starring julia roberts. have you watched it?
    in my last comment, i was quite aware you wouldn't stop blogging because you are a talented writer who was born to write. i was simply worried i'll be reading less and less of you. hey, you're the only filipino blogger i'm currently subscribed to (it's true, it's true).
    if you really wanted to become a lawyer that much, then go for it.
    maybe i'll be addressing you as "attorney arvin ortiz" in the near future?:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, it was made into a movie. and yes, julia roberts played as the law stude who wrote the pelican brief. denzel washington was also in the movie, playing the role of a washinton post reporter. alas, i haven't watched it yet.

    thanks, marjorie (blush2x). honestly, i'm not yet used to being called a writer. but if there are people like you who are delighted to keep on reading my stuff, rest assured, i'll never stop writing and blogging.

    atty. arvin ortiz sounds nice, but i prefer to be called simply as "arvin."

    ReplyDelete