Thursday, November 5, 2009

Forrester's advice

I caught up Finding Forrester at TV5 many days ago. I think it's a must-see for a novice writer and even for those who have been writing for so long a time but whose well of creativity has now dried up. For it's replete with lines on how to go about writing, and indeed living. But the one line that has stuck in my mind is that which William Forrester (Sean Connery) told to Jamal Wallace (Rob Brown):
No thinking - that comes later. You must write your first draft with your heart. You rewrite with your head. The first key to writing is... to write, not to think!

I don't know how many writers have tried it and came out successful. But since I'm a sucker for writing tips and wouldn't let one pass without trying it, I tried Forrester's advice. I tried to write the first draft with my heart; the second draft with my head.

The result: a 2,000 plus-word essay chronicling my first foray into writing and blogging. Then on the second draft, I cut it down to about 1,600 words.

I will publish it soon. Maybe tomorrow, or the day after tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. [...] William Zinsser, writing, Youngblood by Arvin Antonio Ortiz (Here’s the result of following Forrester’s advice. I’m not sure if I pulled it off well, so you be [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] the result of following Forrester’s advice. I’m not sure if I pulled it off well, so you be [...]

    ReplyDelete