Thursday, May 6, 2010

Notes on the Davao Writers Workshop 2010

[caption id="attachment_1740" align="aligncenter" width="500" caption="The opening ceremony of the 2010 Davao Writers Workshop was graced by Aida Rivera-Ford and Tita Lacambra-Ayala, the grand dames of Philippine Literature"][/caption]

The Davao Writers Workshop Summer 2010 is about to end. There are only few pieces left to be critiqued. Call me sentimental, but this is one of the events in my life that I will never forget. Ages and ages hence, I shall be able to tell this: For once in my life, I brushed elbows with the big-shots of the Philippine Literary scene: Jhoanna Cruz, Tim Montes, Gen Quintero, Mac Tiu, Anthony Tan, and Ric de Ungria, who serve as our mentors, or "tormentors" as some would say.

Merely looking at the roster of this workshop's panelists can be intimidating, what with their accomplishments and intellectual acumen. In fact, before the workshop, I felt as though I was so puny that if ever I'd be absent or present, my presence or absence would not make anyone budge.

Yet, for one reason or another, I didn't feel that way. Here, no one questions me why I do the things I do, which is to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment