Friday, May 7, 2010

Aida Rivera-Ford recited Sonnet 29



Aida River-Ford is so known she need not be introduced at length. Suffice it to say that the opening ceremony of the 2010 Davao Writers Workshop was made more special by her presence, and by other venerable artists' presences: Tita Lacambra-Ayala, Margot Marfori, and Maria Virginia Yap Morales.

During lunch time, Ma'am Aida seated near us. She didn't eat right away, as everyone else did. Yes, she did get her food. But after putting down her sparsely filled plate on the table, she asked us if we have a copy of Dr. Anthony Tan's lecture, in which Shakespeare's Sonnet 29 was cited.

"I will recite it with feelings," she said.

Gino, one of the fellows for this year's workshop, handed his copy to Ma'am Aida. Then Ma'am Aida stood in front and held the copy in her left hand.

"You know, aside from being a writer, I'm also a performer," she said. "I used to memorize this, but now I forgot this already. But anyway, I will recite it."Ma'am Aida didn't frustrate her listeners. True to her word, she recited Shakespeare's Sonnet 29 with feelings.

When, in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes,
I all alone beweep my outcast state
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries
And look upon myself and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featured like him, like him with friends possess'd,
Desiring this man's art and that man's scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least;
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate;
For thy sweet love remember'd such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.


Then everyone applauded her.

So beautiful is her rendition that, how shall I say this, nanindog gayod ang akong balahibo paghuman niya ug basa sa poem. As both fellows from CDO, Gino and Kuya Jay, would say, "Chada kaayo bay."

No comments:

Post a Comment