Thursday, September 24, 2009

Me, going to law school?

I don't know why, but law school always fascinates me.


That 's why I read Erich Segal's novel The Class, a story of Harvard men, some of whom went to Harvard Law School.


That's why I watched from the beginning till the end the Koreanovela Love Story in Harvard. Ostensibly set in Harvard but was actually set in University of Southern California and University of California, Los Angeles, Love Story in Harvard is a story between a Harvard Law School student and a Harvard Medical School student.


That's why I like John Grisham's books. That's why I want to watch The Paper Chase.


That's why I read Erich Segal's novel Love Story, a story also set in Harvard and whose protagonist is also a Harvard Law School student.


That's why I bought a VCD of Love Story, the film adaptation of Segal's novel.


At some point in my life, I dreamed of becoming a lawyer. I didn't seriously think, though, about the matter. But my father said something that prompted me to give it a serious thought.


The night before last night, he told me that my uncle asked if I am willing to go to Law School because he's willing to support me.


Tell him yes, I told my father.


I know being a law student is no picnic, or walk in the park if you want. As one blogger, who had gone to law school himself, put it, "law school isn’t easy. It’s a lot of hard work and pain. A lot of sleepless nights and mental anguish. Law school is unlike anything you have ever experienced, unlike anything you could even imagine. Law school requires you to dedicate everything you have to it: your mind, your body and even your soul."


There are some questions, the same blogger said, that one should consider before going to law school:


Do you really want to be a lawyer?


Honestly, I want to be a teacher, but only because I know my parents can't afford to send me to law school.


Can you handle pressure?


I have fared in college, I think I can do the same in law school.


Can you study every day for four years (five if you count the bar)?


I think I can if my mother will exempt me from all the household chores.


Can you handle not having lots of free time (for anything)?


Today, I'm not having lots of free time because I'm a working student---and, thank God, I haven't become anti-social. I think I can do the same feat in law school?


Can you afford law school?


My uncle says he can.

2 comments:

  1. Hey bud, came across your blog via Tag Tracker: law school.

    If you decide to hit up law school, or have questions about it, please feel to e-mail or contact me.

    I recently graduated in 2009 so I have a fresh perspective of its pain and sacrifice =P

    Great blog, will visit often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] have actually started writing about law school. Here when I was still mulling over whether to take up law. Here when I was really having trouble deciding [...]

    ReplyDelete