Thursday, November 22, 2012

Sakses!

[caption id="attachment_2366" align="aligncenter" width="510"] The book is published by Central Bookstore.[/caption]

A law student's life is filled with drudgery. But, as Blas Ople said, "Every one of us has his proud moments that seem to recapitulate all past struggles---that lift us from our plain and humdrum lives to an exalted state."

I just recently have one such moment. In August this year, the Philippine Association of Law Schools (PALS) organized a nationwide essay writing contest for law students.

Out of the participants from Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao, ten finalists would be chosen. Of the ten, three would be declared winners.

Why I said I recently have my proud moment? Lest you be misled, I didn't win. Here are the winners:

  • 1st Place: Archimedes D. Suganob of St. Mary's College of Law, Tagum City.

  • 2nd Place: Julius Caesar Domingo of St. Mary's University, Bayombong Nueva Vizcaya.

  • 3rd Place: Euangeli P. Doromal of Cor Jesu College, Digos City.


I'm proud that two of the winners come from Mindanao. I think they all deserve to win, for how can a lowly man like me beat a mathematician/physicist, a Roman Emperor, and an angel?

Seriously, though, I'm proud because PALS has this little book called "In The Eyes of Law Students: The Secret Formula of Teaching Law," which contains, among others, the essays of the winners and ten other finalists.

What of it?

Nothing, except that I'm one of the finalists and my essay is in the book. If you're someone who has a literary pretensions, seeing your work published  is like releasing the feces that have been inside your stomach for quite a while.

No wonder, people say "Sakses!" after defecating.

28 comments:

  1. WOW! Congrats, Nyot! That's indeed a feather in your cap! Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question though. Does feces reside really in our stomach? o.O Hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ruhudz. As to the feces, ambot lang. Tingali. Naa man uban na it takes them weeks para magawas. naa man gud na a life of its own. hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very inspiring! Congratulations! SAKSES! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you. at least i know someone heard me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to read that in my future classes! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Planning yes. :) Hopefully I pass the exam. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good. I've many classmates who transferred from ateneo to UM.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Really? Btw, are you a full-time student?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes to first. If you mean by full time student i don't work, no. I'm also a full time teacher in Stella Maris.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! Wow. Okay. I asked since I will still have to continue working should I pass the exam and be a law student. I see. Good to know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. work for me is really no hindrance to studying law. you need only look for your own learning style, one that you're most comfortable with and that which you can be most productive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Sir! I just read from other law student blogs that what eats most of their time is reading a ridiculous amount of cases. I am already doing a mental scheduling on how many hours should I allot for studying and then of course, for work as well. But I guess ultimately, as you said, there'll be no real hindrance if you are into it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I fully agree. And when you get to start law, don't give much weight to other students' comments regarding professors being so strict or kuripot. sometimes they are more imagined than real.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the free consultation Sir. Very helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahahaha! Adika wui. Basin pud. Basin nag-field trip pa sa "digestive system". Bwahahaha! Congrats ulit! =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, congratulations on the win! I also submitted my entry for that contest, but sadly enough, I was not able to make it to the ten finalists. Congratulations and good luck with law school! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I didn't expect to make it. I almost forgot it until my prof told me. Well, madami pa naman contest diyan. What matters is we keep on learning and improving. Kudos, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, do you have a list of the finalists? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dulce Parinas, Edwin Dincog, Jr., Surallah E. Reyes-Abeto, Gil Victor Paul V. Valedez, Xyza Faye Foronda, Anthony Robles, Jose Aldous Arbon II, Mary Charlen Joy Suedad, Rickee Gerald Brieva.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yey! Thank you :) You are my second source. Im just confirming what my Dean told me. He congratulated me in our class. I thought it was just a joke. Didn't expect to win too. Pals didnt inform me about being selected as a finalist. Did they give you a free copy of the book? Thanks you and Congrats again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good to hear that. Actually, our assistant dean gave me the book. He got it when he attended the PALS Convention in Manila. the book was published by Central Bookstore. But I'm not sure if it's available now. or if they are selling it now.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for the info. Very much appreciated. Ill check Central bookstore if its already available. I know this is too much, but is it possible for you to email me an image of my essay? Thank you in advance. Congrats again and Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello PaƱero... It's a good thing u've made it as one of the finalists. Like you, I am a also a product of the University of Mindanao. No doubt with the success because we were raised in the same laboratory where geniuses are made.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi there. Congrats, too, for being the Champion. UM Law won't last this long if it were not made of the right stuff.

    ReplyDelete