Friday, November 30, 2012

Digest A Case Your Way

There's a marked difference between the law students then and the law students now. Of course, the law students then are probably lawyers now.

What I mean, though, is the way the Internet affects the study of law today. One of the wonders of the Internet is its power to connect people across different time zones and places. For instance, a law student studying in Manila can talk to a law student studying in Davao, thanks to Skype, YM, Facebook, Twitter, etc. A law student can share his digested cases by posting it in his blog or website. And everyone is free to copy it.

When a professor assigns a case or two for the students to read, it's tempting to seek the aid of the Internet. Just type the case title. Then voila! There you have it. Google, or whatever search engine you're using, will provide everything for you----the case digest with a link to the full text of the case.

I've done this many times myself. When I don't have enough time to read the case in its entirety, I read the case digest people in the cyberspace provide. But I find it counterproductive because after reading the case I'm left with more questions than answers. How did the RTC justify its ruling? What was the CA's rationication (I hate this word) in granting or dismissing the appeal? How did the Supreme Court rule on the CA's ruling?

Of course, the exact answers to those questions can only be had if one were to read the entire case. Yes, reading digested cases saves me a lot of time. But it doesn't save me from the grueling question and answer portion law professors like to subject their students.

That is why I think it's better to read the entire case and make your own case digest. Reading a case in its entirety gives you a better grasp of the case. And making your own digest allows you to present the case in a manner that fits your style and frame of mind the most because you made the digest yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment