Saturday, April 7, 2012

Confessions of a Marianne devotee

[caption id="attachment_2221" align="aligncenter" width="744" caption="Marianne and I during the JS Prom held at the Davao Convention Center."][/caption]

My girlfriend, Marianne, is a deeply religious woman. She is surrounded by equally religious people. Her sister is a nun, a member of the Ancillae Christi-Regis or Handmaids of Christ the King. Her parents are active members of the Couples for Christ. Her maternal grandmother came from Bohol, perhaps one of the regions in the Philippines that can be considered a bastion of Catholicism. She's not given to curse words. I never heard her say f*** or s***. She's ill at ease with people who backbite. She doesn't mingle with sycophants.

The problem is not that she's not virtuous enough. It's that she's so virtuous our colleagues say, and they sometimes tease me about this, that she's more likely to enter the religious life. Fear gripped me every time they talk about her being a nun. I couldn't stand to lose the woman I love.

I was afraid again when one day, a congregation visited Stella Maris to sell books and other religious articles. One nun gave her an invitation form. If you want to join our Search-In, the nun told her, fill out the form. She told me about the invitation. I feigned not to be affected by it and convinced myself to be realistic. It's just a Search-In, I kept telling myself, she's not going to be a nun yet. I prayed to God not to let the Search-In come to pass. God must be listening, for she was not able to attend the Search-In.

I somehow regretted having a girlfriend so in love with God. But later I regretted having regretted that I have a girlfriend so in love with God.

In the middle of October last year, I joined the Singles for Christ. In one of the teachings, we were taught that the first Christian ideal is to love God. Thereupon it dawned on me that I should not get in the way of my girlfriend and her God. And it's a precept we all would do well to follow.

If your girlfriend loves God more than you, don't hinder her. Feed that love.

If she wants to go to the Church, let her go to the Church. If possible, go with her.

If she wants to pray the Holy Rosary, let her pray the Holy Rosary. If possible, pray with her.

If she wants to visit the Adoration Chapel before going to work, let her visit the Adoration Chapel. If possible, visit with her.

My girlfriend loves God above all---above work, above family, above herself, and above me.

Do I envy it? No. Do I get frustrated if much of our time is spent attending masses? No. Do I feel like baduy if we spent our monthsary in Shrine? No.

Lest you think I'm a martyr, I'm not. But why I'm doing all these? It's because I've just unfolded the secret to a happy relationship, and it is this: A person who loves God shows that love by loving others. So the more I help her enkindle her love for God, the more she loves me back as an expression of her love for God.

Trust me. There's no point threatening your girlfriend she can't find someone like you, so she has to stick with you and follow whatever you want. And if you want to marry her someday, you must love the God she loves and follow what Shamcey Supsup said.

During the Q&A portion of the 2011 Miss Universe, Vivica A. Fox asked Shamcey Supsup if she would change her religion to marry the one she loves.

“If I had to change my religious beliefs," Shamcey said, "I would not marry the person that I love because the first person that I love is God who created me and I have my faith and my principles and this is what makes me who I am. And if that person loves me, he should love my God too.”

12 comments:

  1. Another first from me? hehehe. =))

    When we love the person we love, we also love the things (and even the people) that and whom they love. It's good that Marianne loves God so much. If Marianne were a fish, she would have been a "good catch". Pardon me for the comparison. ;)

    I am happy that your relationship has been going strong. It is really fulfilling if GOD is the center of your relationship. As what one of our Ninangs said during our wedding reception, "Don't let it be Arbie AND Rudylen. Let it be Arbie and GOD and Rudylen." It is indeed a blissful feeling when you know that GOD is there to strengthen and guide both of you and your relationship.

    "Give love and unconditional acceptance to those you encounter, and notice what happens." ~ Dr. Wayne W. Dyer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Una sa balita, una sa pagcomment jud ka rudz. thanks anyway for taking the time to read and comment...appreciate it a lot... isda jud? never mind the comparison... tama jud ka rudz. abi naq bfore non-sense nang about God thing. pero pag ikaw na naa sa situation makaingon jud ka na dili man diay.

    kwaon na tika ug ninang sa amoa kasal...hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. @_@ Ninang agad?! Di ba pwedeng cord or veil sponsor na lang?? Hehehe.. :D

    Nakalimot na man siguro ka nga ako baya imong number 1 fan. So, number 1 ko pirmi sa comment. HAHAHA.. ayaw na ug katingala.. =))

    Bitaw Vin.. lahi ra jud kaayo ang feeling.. be happy and blessed that Marianne is a God-fearing person.. Dili lagi na siya mag-madre wui.. Woman like her, I can feel how much she loves you. aawwweeeee.. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha...ana sila pang ninang man gud daw f 40+ u waistline...hehehe atik lang... over pud nang number 1 fan ui...number 2 lang kay si marianne ra ba ang #1...

    dili jud. na kung mag madre siya...mag pari nalang pud ko.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OVARY! mag-laslas na ko geng kung 40+ na akong waistline.. ako na mismo mag-ingon sa akong bana, "sige, bulagi na ko kay dako na kaayo ko!" LOL maka-below the sea level kaayo ka ug self esteem ha. makasapot gamay.. HAHAHA..

    aw.. pwede mag-sorry? number 2 ra diay ko.. hehehe.. tama tama.. :D

    nah.. ayaw na lang jud pa-madreha si Marianne.. murag lahi ra.. hehehe.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha...sorry gang... ngano naabot man ta sa waistline... grabe pud nang bulag ui...di ba pde magexercise sa? hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAHAHA.. mao ka! ikaw man gud.. ni-abot man ka sa waistline.. musakit bya jud akong ulo ug waist basta hisgutan na.. :D lagi lagi.. mag-exercise lagi ko.. and.. and.. basta.. LOL :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Samuka sa title uy! HAHAHAHAHAHA "devotee" ta diha! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whatever! HAHA ikaw ha. Where have you been? :))) Wala tika nakit-an ganiha. :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wala tika nakit-an sa school. Wahahaha

    ReplyDelete