Friday, April 23, 2010

Project Law School: Why take up law?

I was twice asked why I want to take up law? My aunt asked me the first time. When she asked me that, I stared at her. Just stared. Then nodded. Then said, "I don't know."

"You have to have a reason," she said. Yes, I have to have a reason. But does everything we do need to have a reason? Can we not do it without being asked why we do it?

The second time I was asked was when I applied for a teaching position in one of the Catholic schools in Davao. (Clue: It's located on Obrero St.). The principal asked me "What would you with the salary?"

Simple. I said, "The salary I will use to support my law studies."

"So you're planning to take up law?" the principal asked. "Yes, ma'am," I said.

"Why do you want to be a lawyer?" Unlike my aunt's question, I thought I was obligated to answer this one. So I said, "I want to be a lawyer because I want to advance good causes. And I believe that the law is a powerful tool by which I can advance good causes. Aside, of course, from teaching."

Anyone who enters law school, I guess, enters with a certain degree of idealism. I am no exemption. I didn't lie to the principal when I said that I want to be a lawyer because I want to advance good causes.

But whether I will be financially rewarded while advancing good causes is another matter.

3 comments:

  1. Where there's a will, there's a way. I haven't gone to law school, but I was the one grilling my husband with the "why" questions and its been a fun ride.

    http://wifebehindbars.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. “I want to be a lawyer because I want to advance good causes."

    you really have the best "reason". ipadayon na ui!

    regarding the Workshop nga atong gitambongan, proud kaayo ko nga nagkailhanay ta, ug sa dagan sa atong mga kinabuhi nagkatagbo ta. you're no non-sense person.
    such an honor to be motivated to write by a good Fellow.
    haha... natakdan na gyud ko sa inyong "passion" for the craft.

    padayon ta sa pag-ugmad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the feeling is mutual james. padayon gyod ta sa pagsulat. who knows? ten or twenty years from now, you'll be inviting me to your book launch.

    ReplyDelete