Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Davao belongs to us all

A city is like a coin. It has two faces: one shows the head; the other, the tail. The head is what the tourists like. It's number one in their itinerary. The tail they hardly visit. Or if they happen to visit it at all, perhaps it's  by accident. Maybe they got lost. Maybe it's a necessary passage, an unavoidable route that they have to take, to get to their actual destination. Either way, it's out of the plan. Tourists, foreigners and Filipinos alike, hardly visit a city to see both faces, unless he happens to be a UN Special Rapporteur mandated to gaze at both head and tail.

Davao City is no different. It has two faces. One is beautiful; the other, ugly. One is serene; the other, noisy. One is hospitable; the other, hostile.

Ask any tourist what they like about Davao, and you get a plethora of answers: Durian and all its by-products (Durian jam, Durian cake, Durian pie, Durian cappuccino, Durian candy, etc.), Mt. Apo, Philippine Eagle, Kadayawan, Crocodile Park, People's Park, the Dutertes, the Central 911, the stability and order, the cleanliness, and the relative peace and quiet of the city.

Then ask the same tourist if they know, drop by, or ever heard of Tionko Avenue where, if night falls, prostitutes trooped and congregate; or Piapi Blvd., Barrio Patay (BarPa for short), and S.I.R. Matina---few places in Davao notorious as a safe haven of petty thieves, drug-users and pushers, and other outlaws---ask that tourist, and you get a point-blank "No."

For tourists they have a choice to visit or not to visit those places. For a Davaoeño like me, who has lived here for 23 years now, it seems that I don't have any choice. I have to live with what Davao has got to offer me whether I like it or not. I have to accept that Davao will always have two faces no matter how I try to make a facelift on it.

But, in fact, I do have a choice. I can, for instance, choose to live in Cebu that is beginning to look like Makati, what with its skyscrapers sprouting like mushrooms here and there. I can choose to live in Ilo-Ilo City where the suffocating and congested city streets and sidewalks are absent.

Yet I choose to live here, although leaving Davao is not an utter impossibility. Some people I know have made that choice, too.

Most of my colleagues in Stella Maris Academy of Davao, where I teach for almost two years now, are not born and raised in Davao City. My two High School Librarian friends are both from Digos, but have been in Davao for more than a decade, though they still go to Digos every now and then. Two of my male colleagues are from Sto. Tomas, Davao del Norte. My co-Social Studies teacher and classmate in college is from Mati. Our principal is from Sta. Cruz, Laguna. One Filipino teacher is from Zamboanga del Norte. One Physics teacher is from Pantukan. I also have co-teachers from mainland China. My girlfriend, who teaches MAPEH in the same school, is from Kapalong.

Though we came from different parts of the country, born and raised under different circumstances and stations in life, what binds us is that we've all found a home here in Davao.

I haven't gone to too many places outside Davao City. The farthest that I've ever been to are Ilo-Ilo and Cebu. And on the two occasions that I was there, I could say that Davao City offers the same wares and wonders, goods and getaways, and scenic spots and services, which those places offer.

But I think what separates Davao City is that it belongs to us all. It belongs as much to me as it belongs to my colleagues from Digos, Sto. Tomas, Pantukan, Mati, Kapalong, Zamboanga, Laguna, and China.

Davao belongs as much to Dawn Zulueta (who lives, by the way, in one of the high-end subdivisions somewhere in Buhangin) as it belongs to the Maranao vendors at San Pedro Street, to the Koreans of DCLA at Uyanguren, to the Filipino-Chinese traders at Monteverde Street, and to the Bajaos on Davao's busy streets.

Davao belongs as much to the Dutertes, Nograleses, Bonguyans, Villa-Abrilles, as it belongs to our favorite kwek-kwek vendors,  to the multicab drivers, to the funny barker in Gaisano Mall who is wont to say "Sit erect," "Sit properly," and "Move sideward."

Davao belongs as much to the prominent Davaoeños as it belongs to the many obscure men and women who make Davao City colorful, vibrant, and throbbing with life.

Davao belongs to everyone, and everyone can live and make a life here if one believes, as I do and as others do, that life is here.
Davao life is here

Submitted as an entry to the 75th Araw ng Dabaw Blog Competition

48 comments:

  1. Oliver Sabio CalledoMarch 7, 2012 at 11:46 PM

    This is indeed very true! i like how you organize your ideas and the thoughts expressed in every paragraph... it is truly Davaoeno!
    Winning piece essay/article Arvin! Congratulations! You've shown how life is here in Davao City.
    Davao belongs to us indeed!

    Two thumbs up! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark Anthony TorniadoMarch 8, 2012 at 12:11 AM

    This is amazing, LIFE IS HERE..this is absolutely true..I will never leave Davao, I feel safe here than outside the city..hope it will stay like this forever...thumbs up!!DAVAO BELONGS TO US!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks gang for your generous comment. life maybe hard here, but still, the joys and triumphs far outweigh the difficulties we experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tama jud ka brad...i think we can make it like this forever, though change is an immutable law of nature, if we choose to make it like this. Thanks sa comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great read! I've never had a chance to live in Davao but I always feel at home whenever my feet bring me to that part of the world where both the beautiful and the "ugly" merge.

    Congrats, Arv for capturing what my tourist eyes failed to see when I visited Davao years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What else can I say? This is, again, another one of the best articles you've scribbled Arvin! You're really my follower! #chos (Or is it the other way around? hehe)

    Well, ever since I was born in this city, I have never failed to thank God that I was, am and maybe, will still be here. Davao City has never failed to amaze me and her citizens with its simple yet apparent progress. Though there were several bad things that happened to me here, they're still bested with the good, better and best things that have happened. Indeed, "Life is here." :) _r",)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks carl james for taking the time to read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks sir jayson...coming a prize-winning writer like you, it just encourages me...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Salamat kaayo Rudz...ikaw na jud. apostle ra ba ko nimo...follower. Thanks din sa comment. Many Davaoenos really feel the same. Davao is beautiful. Davao is ugly. Like it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A city of goodness and evil; a city of beauty and ugliness; and a city of wonder and of great abundance. This article truly mirrors the reality of Davao City. Nice article, Oniot...truly LIFE IS HERE...

    ReplyDelete
  11. salamat DGL...galinga sa mirrors the reality that is Davao City ui... mao man, if i were to choose a place, i would still choose davao. though cliche man siya pero true man gud.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! Your entry is amazing. It is one of the best articles I have read about Davao City. I hope you win because you truly deserve it!:))

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is life's ironies that makes it worth living... without the two sides, there is no balance in our existence. Great job in pointing it out Arvin! It takes a true davaoeño to get to know what our city has to offer to the world! A Davaoeño by birth and by heart, to fully accept its greatness and its flaws! You are truly a son of Davao!
    P.S. -> There is no place like DAVAO! =) ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. #foreverfanniarvin this is the latest trending topic in twitter hehehe. Life is indeed here in Davao. The people of Davao regardless of their origins can truly feel that they belong here. We are indeed fortunate to have the best of both worlds in this city and the two faces of the coin make living here more colorful and meaningful. I wanted to join this contest vin pero murag di na pwede hehehehe. Sayang! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Salamat brad. Maulaw man ta anang best ui...pero siguro that's what Davao is: the best.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. Tama jud kaau Ate Carms... because there are others whose views are so bigoted that they turn a blind eye sa mga flaws sa Davao, and like you said, it's not treason if you sometimes point out the flaws of the city despite its greatness...Instead, it's a mark of a true Davaoeno... True Children of Davao we all are... Thanks for the comment ate carms...

    ReplyDelete
  17. trending man jud..the best of both worlds. murag pina-Charles Dickens lang man. It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. Thanks Ate cherryl for the comment...pwede paman ata... Today man ang deadline 11:59 pm.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sir! Galing niyo magwrite. Truly worth reading. :) makasuyyaaaaa. thumbs uppp!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Pia...still struggling pa rin to write well. As they say, practice makes perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  20. nice blog tot...special mention pa jud ta ui. im so proud of you. though i'm not a native-born Davaoena, I can say na i feel like I'm just home. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  21. alangan. Special mention jud. Ikaw pa. Ayeeee... long-time dream ra ba nimo ang makastay sa davao. wala man siya natupad sa college, now you have all the freedom to live and love, saunter and sleep, diri sa Davao. Hope I somehow make your stay here as memorable as possible. But i doubt if you'll leave Davao at all if both of us will have...you know na. Thanks tot for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi sir! Galing galing. I wish i could write as good as you :) Been reading everything from top to bottom kanina. Haha keep on writing and inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Galing sir,pwedeng pwede talaga sa 75th Araw ng Dabaw Blog Competition!Congrats daan sir!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Taryn for dropping by and actually reading everything from top to bottom...I hope I did inspire you...lalo ka na whose job is to write for the school paper. keep on writing, too. thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I too wanted to join this the moment I've heard about it from the FM radio from the backseat of the cab, alongside Jonathan and Yirme, but I kept the idea to myself as I couldn't reassure myself if I could. And so I decided that I wont :) But this post is wonderful. The development was divine and the feel was striking. If you wouldn't win, I would rage. Congrats in advance

    ReplyDelete
  26. nice gud arvin :))

    ReplyDelete
  27. grabe naman. thanks eric. kaw din. you can do more if you just will it. there's more that you can do than you realize.

    ReplyDelete
  28. talaga Le. bakit hindi ko siya narinig? I was with you guys then. But you should have. Anyway, thanks Le. I'll not contest it. Salutatorian na gud ang nagsulti...so i rest my case. Thanks for taking the time to read not just this post but my other drab posts as well.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hahaha over sad ang sarcasm sir. I remember. It was past SM Lanang, before Swiss Deli and sinabi rin na yung isang contest kay video advertisment :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ganoon ba. hahaha Congrats Le anyway. Richly deserved it, man.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Suzanne Marie J. GerodiasMarch 9, 2012 at 7:43 AM

    I'm loving Davao even more because of this Vin.... I may go to the grandest places on earth but my feet will always find their way here. I breath, think, feel, eat and talk Davao.

    You're a way better English teacher than me because you really walk the talk.

    You're writing style in this article speaks so much of your nature. Way to go! You're a sure win!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Suzanne Marie J. GerodiasMarch 9, 2012 at 7:55 AM

    *Your writing style..... oooops.... Lolz! Too sleepy to notice..... Congrats Vin! You have already found your niche in writing:0)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks madam suzanne. trying hard pa rin...salamat sa praises you've lavished upon me. tinuod jud. there's an excitement of going out of the city, especially for me na dili man pud jet-setter....but when the excitement wears off, and homesickness sets in, you're excited again...to go back home, here, in Davao.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow! Congrats gang you did a good job… I like the way you speak about DAVAO … You give a very concrete example of what Davao is… Like like like… :) A place where everyone can enjoy life.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks gang. ikaw na jud gang. maski taga Digos ganahan giyapon diri sa Davao…sa imo pa gikaingon there’s something in Davao that keeps you from leaving, mga keks, work, and malls. in short, it’s as if you’re under Davao’s spell.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Davao is indeed for everyone. I'm missing Davao more because of this! There is really no place like home. Great article, sir. I didn't know that you write so well! Two thumbs up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks Gi for the comment. Yeah. You should know better. I'm sure kahit andiyan ka sa La Salle, the epicenter of urban life, nothing beats Davao, lalo na if your loved ones are all here.

    ReplyDelete
  38. And so am I. Maski unsa pa ila iingon, maayo o di-maayo, Davao giyapon ko.

    ReplyDelete
  39. ..ganahan ko ani nah part oh :

    "Though we came from different parts of the country, born and raised under different circumstances and stations in life, what binds us is that we’ve all found a home here in Davao."


    kay dili pud ko tagadavao pero 6yrs nako dri,ahehehe :))

    --credits to yhamzie :D

    ReplyDelete
  40. -HA! what can i say ---- GALING!!-

    -Davao belongs to me too.. tga-Digos but studies here..


    -i wish to be a good writer someday..as good as you Po..

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks sa comment. and sau tot. daghan napud ko kaila ana...dili taga davao. niskwela diri. then dili na ganahan mubalik sa ila. not that they hate their hometown...pero lahi raman jud ang way of life diri...a city pero it feels like dili kaayo ka layo sa inyoha.

    ReplyDelete
  42. thanks...mao jud na ang wonder buh. we can always claim a piece of Davao maski wala ka gipanganak diri. as for writing, practice lang. kadaghan.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Amazing! Being one of your students is an honor! :)) BOW AKO SA'YO! This (almost winning) piece makes me love Davao more, more and more! Lucky for me na nabasa nako ni :)) God bless you more in your writing! :))

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thanks Deanne. Siguro because I'm also surrounded by brilliant students like you. Let's love our city, Davao City by respecting its laws. etc.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Nice sir. :) naa njud kay future. God bless sir. :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thanks Jennie...unta madaog pud ka sau giapilan na contest. kudos to the both of us. hail to the davaoeños. :D

    ReplyDelete