Thursday, December 17, 2009

Exptemporaneous Speaking Contest is not a Beauty Contest, stupid!

I so cannot understand the Extemporaneous speech during the Intramural 2009. Here's why:

Cherie, the participant of the College of Education, just finished delivering her piece. When she was about to leave the stage, she was stopped by one of the judges and asked her another question.

"How do you define the modern man?" the judge asked. (A troglodyte asking for a definition of modern man? The nerves to ask such a question!)

Cherie herself was puzzled, so she asked back: "Am I bound to answer that?"

I don't know what happened next. But I do know that Cherie placed third although hers was the most eloquent of all the speeches.

And guess whose star shined most brightly at that time? Yes, the participant from the BSBA won despite, not because of, her speech.

***
Of course, I'm not saying that BSBA students are not capable of winning in a contest like Extemporaneous where brain is needed more than brawn.

What I don't understand is that why did the judge ask Cherie another question when she has already answered the question----in fact, the only question----that she needed to answer.

Of all the Extempo I've seen, it was the first I heard that the judge asked the speaker another question as if he were in a beauty contest.

Exptemporaneous Speaking Contest is not a Beauty Contest, stupid!

2 comments: