Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Human Rights Watch is right

Human Rights Watch, a New York-based human rights group, released yesterday its report, titled "You Can Die Any Time: Death Squad Killings in Mindanao."

After downloading the soft copy of the report, I managed to take a cursory read of the report. There's one portion of the report that struck me, only because it confirmed what my father told me some years back. Once he told me that some members of the DDS are former NPAs. In fact, my father said, he knew someone who had just been recruited to join this ghostly group.

One portion of the HRW's report, "The Perpetrators: Inside the Davao Death Squad," confirmed this. "Most members of the DDS fall into two main groups," the report said. "According to several insiders, the older members, some of whom were recruited back in the early 2000s, were primarily former members of the so-called “sparrow units” of the NPA who surrendered to the government, as well as some former military and police personnel."

Update: Download the full report of the HRW here.

No comments:

Post a Comment